Finally Sun has released Java under GPL2 license.
- HotSpot VM and JavaC compiler will be opensourced under the OpenJDK project
- SE 7.0 to be OS’ed first, SE6 to follow
- License GPV2 a la GNU/Linux with a GNU/Classpath exception to allow linking to non-GPL code.
- GPLv2 chosen due to popularity, compatability and protection (non-public fork not legal)
- Possibility of eventual GPLv3 upgrade when the FSF releases it.
- Easier to distribute runtime as well as SDK with Linux etc.
- Commercial licence policies remain in place.